A stye is a small, inflamed boil on the eyelid. It may affect the skin of the eyebrows or the eyelids, more commonly the lower lid. Usually stye is an inflamed hair follicle or an infection of a sebaceous gland in the edge of the eyelid. In Ayurveda, it is known as anjananamika.
Stye is often caused due to ill health, conjunctivitis and infection of the eyelid. The infecting organism is usually a staphylococcus bacterium. Infection of the hair follicles of the eyelid leads to blockage of the hair follicles. Due to uncleanliness, lack of hygiene and dirt, sebaceous glands near the eye lids can also get blocked and provide a conducive environment for the growth of infective organisms. This is often seen among children who keep suffering from it repeatedly. Constant rubbing of eyes, sleep deprivation and poor nutrition also contribute in causing stye.
- Boil on eye lid
- Pain in boil.
From Ayurvedic perspective, rakta dhatu (blood tissue) is vitiated by doshas in anjananamika. Mainly pitta dosha remains vitiated though sometimes other doshas too may be vitiated. Ayurvedic treatment aims at cleansing and nourishing the eye with eye baths and tonics. For a permanent cure to prevent recurrence, it is necessary to boost the immune system with strengthening herbs and therapies.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Maintaining proper hygiene of eyes is important to prevent recurrence of stye. Washing hands properly before handling eyes is necessary.
- Eyes should be protected from dust, smoke etc and should be washed only with pure water.
- Handkerchief or towel used to clean eyes should be thoroughly clean and free from infections.
- Using Ayurvedic eye drops cleans the eyes very well and destroys infecting organisms.
- Cosmetics used for eyes should be carefully chosen to make sure that they do not cause infections or blockages of sebaceous glands.
- Boil water with Triphala powder and strain the powder from the water. When it cools down, wash the eyes with this water.
- Dissolve alum (fitkari) in water and use it for washing your eyes.
- Apply pure ghee or honey on stye. It helps to speed up the healing process.
- Cook besan flour, turmeric and oil together and then apply this on the style like a poultice after it cools down. It is every effective in healing a style.